A newsletter from one of our fellow Canadian organizations in the Bay Area.
Canada transformed itself as a global tech player over the past decade. How can Canadians everywhere help sustain momentum now?
Together with our Foundational Partners, C100’s team has published a white paper on 10-year trends on investment and talent in Canada. We tracked the incredible momentum and put out a call to action as we enter what has already been a challenging new decade for Canadian entrepreneurs. So what did we find?
- Consistent VC investment in Canada growth year-over-year, with the greatest uptick ever in 2019 with 40% growth
- Canadian VC five- & ten-year returns are closing the gap with U.S. counterparts
- Large funds ($100M+) grew significantly from 3 in 2014 to 14 now (avg. size grew 52%)
- Canada now welcomes 5x the number of skilled immigrants as a percentage of its population than does the U.S. and Canadian cities have more available workers per startup AND per dollar raised than the U.S.
- But, Canada still has some hurdles to clear to compete for top talent. Canadian tech executives earn, on average, $87,000 less/year than their US counterparts.
Macro-risks are ever present, but opportunities abound for Canada to lead in the next decade. Community is everything! Have a read, celebrate the momentum, and help C100 get Global Canadians engaged in helping rebuild the economy back home.
UPCOMING VIRTUAL ROUNDTABLES
[C100 Member Exclusive] An Insider’s Guide to M&A
Thursday, July 16 @ 9am PT/12pm ET
Join Corporate Development and M&A leaders from Shopify and Facebook, as well as a 48Hrs in the Valley founder whose company was acquired by Xero to understand both sides of the “acquisition table”. Hear why companies should be building relationships with corporate development teams even if not thinking about an acquisition in the near future, the challenges of combining different cultures during integration, and how CEOs can work with acquirers to build bigger and more successful businesses. Joining this discussion are Bram Sugarman, Director of Corporate Development & Strategic Partnerships at Shopify; Lara Cumberland, VP M&A Integration at Facebook; and Jamie Shulman, Co-Founder and CEO of Hubdoc which was acquired by Xero in 2018. This session will be moderated by Terry Doyle, GM International at Checkr.
BECOME A MEMBER & MAKE AN IMPACT
C100’s mission is to support, inspire, and connect the most promising Canadian entrepreneurial leaders through mentorship, investment, partnership, and talent.
Our members form the preeminent, global community of visionary Canadian entreprenenurs, operators and investors. Each brings something rich and unique to our ecosystem and fuels C100’s role in supporting global Canadians as they build high-impact careers and remarkable organizations.
Play a more active role the C100 ecosystem and benefit from opportunities for personal and professional development. Consider supporting C100’s mission as a member.