An end of year reflection from one of our fellow Canadian organizations in the Bay Area.
We hope you and your loved ones are healthy and safe, especially during a holiday season that is quite different than usual. 2020 has been a year full of profound personal, professional and societal change and challenges. More than ever, are we grateful for this wonderful, inspiring and uplifting community.
From our team to yours, we express our sincerest gratitude for your continued support within the C100 Community and Canadian tech ecosystem.
As with many businesses, the C100 Community pivoted to online programming amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. For our final newsletter of the year, we wanted to share with you some highlights from the year as the community continued to gather online and support one another.
We look forward with hope for what is to come in 2021 and thank you all for being a part of this journey.
Wishing you all the very best,
The C100 Team
GROWTH SUMMIT 2020
Before the world changed, and back when we were able to gather in person, C100 Members and CXO’s of high-growth startups came together in San Francisco to amplify the voices of Canadian shapers and builders to a global audience.
Missed it? Check out our recap.
ONLINE SERIES: STARTUP PLAYBOOK IN A SUDDEN DOWNTURN
As the COVID-19 pandemic disrupted our lives and businesses, C100 began hosting a series of virtual roundtables in partnership with Careerlist entitled: Startup Playbook in a Sudden Downturn. Watch here.
PLANET CANADA: HOW OUR EXPATS ARE SHAPING THE FUTURE
Following the release of his latest book, John Stackhouse joined us for a special event to discuss the role and future of the Canadian diaspora. Watch the full interview here.
WELCOMING NEW MEMBERS AND CHARTER MEMBERS
Get to know the incredible Canadian leaders who joined this year. Read our interview with C100’s 10 New Charter Members who joined this year.
THOUGHT LEADERSHIP PIECES
Did you know C100 has a Medium page? ICYMI, here are the three most-read articles from 2020:
- Joining the small group of women who serve as presidents of publicly-traded companies, Michelle Zatlyn has added President to her current title of Co-Founder and COO of Cloudfare. Michelle is also a C100 Charter Member and C100’s 2019 Icon of Canadian Entrepreneurship award recipient.
- 🤝 Darwin AI, part of this year’s 48Hrs in the Valley cohort, raised a new round led by Honeywell Ventures.
- Learn the latest on Wittington Ventures‘ investments, an extension of the Weston family’s holding company and C100 Corporate Partner. The Logic wrote an article discussing their latest moves and interviewing Jim Orlando, Managing Parter, and Megh Gupta, Partner. (ps this is paywalled to the Logic subscribers).
- 🤝 Borrowell, a 48Hrs Alumni, is set to to acquire Refresh Financial to help more Canadians gain access to affordable credit.
- An article that might be of interest to Canadian entrepreneurs: 6 Reasons Canada’s tech entrepreneurs can feel confident about the future. Written by Thomas Park, VP of Operations and Strategy, at BDC Capital, a C100 Foundational Partner.
- Toronto-based telemedecine startup MindBeacon Holdings Inc. made their debut on the TSX last Friday.
- 🤝 Big media moves! WarnerMedia completed its acquisition of Ottawa-based software company You.i TV, for more than US$100-million. You.i Engine One technology will help deploy HBO Max direct-to-consumer’s offering to a number of platforms in markets worldwide.
- ♀️Calling all Canadian woman-led technology company in California, check out this 3-day virtual program hosted by BDC Capital. Applications are due Jan 4
- Vancouver-based biotech company AbCellera saw their stock price increase 185% on their NASDAQ debut. AbCellera worked with Indianapolis-based Eli Lilly & Co. to develop a drug to treat mild-to-moderate COVID-19 symptoms.
Interested in giving back to the community?
Consider deepening your engagement with C100 as a Member.
C100 Members are entrepreneurs, investors, and operators in the technology field, with a special focus on Canadians living abroad who wish to connect with one another and to give back to Canada’s ecosystem. They enjoy high-value, intimate virtual events, a Members-only C100 Slack space, and exclusive Member communications. All prospective Members must have their application sponsored by at least one active C100 Member.
C100’s mission is to support, inspire, and connect the most promising Canadian entrepreneurial leaders through mentorship, investment, partnership, & talent. Apply to join as a member today!